Construction Recruitment News

keep up with construction news, building news, construction jobs, contracts news and more from Harbron Recruit.

Posted 5 years ago

Firm fined after forklift truck operator killed

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A large steel fabrication company based in North Yorkshire, has been fined after a forklift truck (FLT) operator was killed when the truck he was operating overturned. However, the offence to which the company pleaded guilty was not a significant cause of the fatal accident. Teesside Crown Court heard how 27-year-old Kelvin McGibbon was reversing the […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Construction company sentenced

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A London based construction company has been fined for safety failings.  Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard how RS Construction UK (London) Limited was working at a site on St Dionis Road, London which was inspected by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). The inspector found there was an excavation directly behind the front door, which was […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Health and safety scientists given centre stage

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

HSE’s science experts driving future innovations that will keep us safer and healthier at work Over 850 science and engineering experts working in health and safety HSE’s Chief Scientific Adviser says ‘science helps us to enable a better working world’ At the heart of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) there is a breadth of […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Hand entrapment to worker at food manufacturing company

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A food manufacturing firm was sentenced today for safety breaches after a worker suffered partial de-gloving of his hand. The worker had several fingers broken in an incident that happened in February 2015, when his hand was pulled into a pastry lid maker that had been modified to improve its operation, including removing parts of […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Man sentenced after worker is fatally crushed in a trench

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A self-employed contractor has been fined after an employee was killed when the trench he was working in collapsed on him. Swansea Magistrates’ Court heard how William Ryan Evans was contracted to construct a drainage field comprising of infiltration pipes laid at the bottom of deep trenches. He employed two workers and a subcontractor excavator […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Demolition Contractor sentenced over multiple safety failings

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A Hertfordshire based contractor has been found guilty for a series of safety failings across two separate sites. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) received a complaint in March 2014 from a member of the public living close to the former Chesham Community Hospital site in Buckinghamshire, concerning activities taking place on the premises. When […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Plymouth plumber puts lives at risk with false gas safety checks

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A plumber arranged for fraudulent gas safety checks at landlords’ tenanted properties leaving a gas boiler in a dangerous state and putting the lives of the tenants at risk. Gary Lynch, aged 36, arranged for Neil Walker to undertake the landlords’ gas safety checks at tenanted properties on 14 separate occasions between February 2013 and […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Diving contractor fined for safety failings

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A diving contractor from Johnstone, Renfrewshire, has been fined for safety failings in operations for shellfish diving. Campbell Sheriff Court heard how Douglas Cameron, a diving contractor on board the vessel ‘Ceanothus’ was collecting razor clams using electric fishing methods in Gigha Sound, near the island of Gigha, Argyll. The use of electrical fishing equipment […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Plymouth landlord fined for endangering tenants

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

The landlord of a property in Plymouth risked the lives of his tenants through a dangerous gas boiler installed in the flat. Abdul Manik, 54, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) at Plymouth Magistrates following an investigation. HSE began inquiries when Plymouth City Council alerted them to the lack of a gas […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Company fined after worker falls through skylight

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A roofing company from Worcester has been fined after an employee fell through a skylight. Kidderminster Magistrates’ Court heard how an employee of AES (Roofing Contractors) Limited fell through a skylight whilst replacing them within a fragile roof. The worker suffered a badly broken wrist. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Worker suffers chemical burns at electropolishing company

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

An electropolishing company based in Hampshire has been fined after a worker suffered chemical burns. Basingstoke Magistrates’ Court heard how Keith Brown, a 51-year-old worker at Poligrat (UK) Limited was told by his manager to dispose of some waste cleaning chemicals at their Aldershot site. The method agreed was to pour caustic pearl granules into […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

South Devon plumber left illegal gas work in a dangerous state

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

An unregistered gas fitter has been sentenced for illegally installing a gas boiler and undertaking landlord’s gas safety checks at a tenanted property. The boiler he installed was later classed as dangerous. Christian Winter, 35, trading as CJS Winter Plumbing & Heating Services of Ashburton, Devon installed the gas boiler at a property on Park […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Company fined for safety failings

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A metalwork casting and machining company has been fined for unsafe work practices after an employee almost fell through a fragile roof. Canterbury Crown Court heard how an employee of M J Allen Holdings Limited of Kent was working on the roof of the company workshop when he slipped and almost fell through the fragile […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Plumber sentenced for not being Gas Safe Registered

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A plumber in Essex has been sentenced to a community order after installing gas boilers while not being Gas Safe registered. Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court heard how Martin Law, installed three gas boilers and associated pipework at three premises in Faraday Close, Braintree, and at Sycamore Grove Braintree. A Gas-Safe investigation into the work undertaken at […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Sentence after worker injured at prison

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

Four different duty holders have been fined after a worker was injured while replacing a window at Leeds prison. Leeds Magistrates’ Court heard how a window on the third floor at Leeds Prison was in need of replacing. Four parties were involved with the installation and all were charged with safety breaches for their part […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Roofer fined for safety failings

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A roofer based in Berkshire has been fined after disturbing and removing asbestos without a licence. Reading Magistrates’ Court heard Michael Wilkie was contracted by a householder to replace the covering of the flat roof of the garage adjoining their house, and subsequent remedial work. This included the installation of a drainpipe through the ceiling […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Worker falls down service shaft

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A company in Derbyshire has been fined after a worker fell thirteen metres down a service riser shaft. Leicester Magistrates’ Court heard how a 36-year-old worker, who was from Romania, was dismantling falsework (a form of temporary structure) in a building that was under construction at Fletcher Development, De Montfort University, Leicester. An investigation by […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Manufacturing company fined after worker was injured

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A company manufacturing sealing products in Slough has been fined after a worker was seriously injured when his arm was caught in machinery. Reading Crown Court heard how a worker was attempting to resolve a problem with a laminating machine when his arm became trapped between two rollers. He sustained fractures to his upper and […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Automotive company fined after worker loses finger

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A Birmingham-based automotive company has been fined after a worker lost his finger. Birmingham Magistrates’ Court heard how a welder at Lander Automotives Limited was expected to work on a variety of jobs as required by production. While he was working on a machine the employee’s glove became entangled in the drill bit. He suffered […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Solar panel specialists in court for roof light fall failings

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A solar panel firm has been £153,000 after a worker was seriously injured in a fall through a fragile roof light at a private home in Kent. The worker, from Ashford, fractured his shin and a vertebra in the incident at Elvington Lane in Hawkinge on 30 April 2013. The roof light the 32-year-old man […]

Read More