Construction Recruitment News

keep up with construction news, building news, construction jobs, contracts news and more from Harbron Recruit.

Posted 5 years ago

HSE invites leaders in health & safety and HR to the Stress Summit 2017

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

The HSE Stress Summit 2017 is set to take place in London on Thursday 16 March, sign up to attend now. Half a million workers across Britain are suffering from work-related stress, depression or anxiety. Forty two percent of self-reported cases were new in 2015/16 (Labour Force Survey). In every workplace, the employer has a […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Suspended prison sentence for Cornish plumber

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A self-employed plumber left a boiler with numerous faults and in a dangerous state at a customer’s home at Belmont Terrace, St Ives, Cornwall a court has heard. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE), investigated the incident and prosecuted Daniel Martin at a hearing before Bodmin Magistrates on 30 November 2016 . The court were […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Hospital fined after safety failings led to dementia patient’s death

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust has been fined £366,000 after the death of a patient on a specialist dementia ward. Norwich Crown Court heard how Mrs Joan Darnell, age 78, had been admitted as a patient to the Julian Hospital, on 28 September 2014 on the Blicking Ward, a specialist ward for patients suffering […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Real estate company fined for safety failings

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A real estate company in Oxfordshire has been fined for failing to manage asbestos on their premises following a fire. Reading Crown Court heard how a fire occurred at Faringdon Business Park on 26 July 2014 destroying four units on the site. Tapecrown Limited failed to have a suitable plan and risk assessment in place […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

NHS trust fined following patients death

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A South West NHS trust has been fined £200,000 after a patient fell to their death from a window. Bristol Crown Court heard how Mr Mark Scott-Green, an in-patient on the hospital’s Haygarth Ward, had become confused and vulnerable while staying at the facility. The Trust authorised a Deprivation of Liberty Safeguard, which allowed them […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Ejector seat manufacturer fined £800,000 for failing to protect workers’ health

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

An Uxbridge manufacturer of ejector seats has been fined £800,000 after three workers developed debilitating lung conditions. Three skilled CNC machine operators developed extrinsic allergic alveolitis after many years of years of exposure to the mist of working metal fluid. The lung condition, also known as hypersensitivity pneumonitis, is a body’s allergic reaction to breathing […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Firm fined after three ladies suffered carbon monoxide poisoning

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A gas installation company and its director were fined after three ladies suffered carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Derby Crown Court heard how three ladies were having lunch at a home address in South Wingfield when they became ill. When they were discovered they were close to death and were taken to hospital and found to […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Car component firm fined after multiple back injuries to workers

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A car component manufacturer has been sentenced after six workers experienced back injuries from repeatedly lifting heavy car engine parts by hand. MAHLE Powertrain Limited (MAHLE) manufactures engine parts for Audi and Jaguar Landrover cars which are no longer in large scale production. Birmingham Crown Court heard that between 1 November 2013 and 7 January […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Self-employed builder electrocuted at work

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A real estate lettings company was sentenced today for safety breaches after a self- employed builder suffered 1st and 3rd degree burns to his face, hands, neck and chest. The injured worker 50 year old Michael Phillips suffered an electric shock in October 2015 when he was carrying out work for IPH Investments Ltd at […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Sentence after self-employed builder suffers serious electric shock

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A real estate lettings company was sentenced today for safety breaches after a self- employed builder suffered first and third degree burns to his face, hands, neck and chest. The injured worker 50-year-old Michael Phillips suffered an electric shock in October 2015 when he was carrying out work for IPH Investments Ltd at an address in Station […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Construction company fined after worker fell 6 meters

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A Derbyshire based engineering construction company has been prosecuted after a worker fell and suffered severe injuries. A worker was repairing a fibreboard roof of a barn and using two homemade crawling boards when he fell 6meters on to the floor below, sustaining serious injuries to his head, hip, and lungs. Derby Magistrates Court heard […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Council fined £250,000 for not protecting workers health

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

Thanet District Council has been fined after a worker was left with permanent injured after being diagnosed with hard arm vibration (HAV). Canterbury Crown Court heard how a worker from Thanet District Council was diagnosed with suffering from HAV after visiting his GP. Symptoms of the condition can include tingling, pins and needles, numbness and […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Council fined £250,000 for not protecting workers’ health

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

Thanet District Council has been fined after a worker was left with permanent injuries after being diagnosed with hard arm vibration (HAV). Canterbury Crown Court heard how a worker from Thanet District Council was diagnosed with suffering from HAV after visiting his GP. Symptoms of the condition can include tingling, pins and needles, numbness and […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Worker injures hand in printing press

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A seal and label producing company based in Kent has been fined after a worker Injured his hand in a printing press. Maidstone Crown Court heard how an employee of Fuji Seal Europe Limited (FSE) was cleaning a blade on a printing press when his hand was drawn into the running nip on the machine. […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Worker injures hand on drill

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A company in Essex, has been fined after a worker suffered injury to his hand on a drilling machine. Chelmsford Crown Court heard how an employee of Amtek Aluminium Castings (Witham) Limited had been drilling a hole in a casting when his glove got caught on the moving bit and his hand was dragged into […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Company fined after workers fall into pulping machine

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A maintenance company has appeared in court after a worker suffered serious injuries after falling 7 metres. The worker, suffered fractures to his left foot in the incident on the 9 July 2014. The incident was investigated by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) which found serious safety failings by Valmet Limited, an embedded contractor […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Council fined after boy nearly drowns

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A council has been fined £75,000 after a four-year-old boy nearly drowned during a swimming lesson. Evan Rhys Davies was taking part in a mix-age and ability play session at the end of his swimming lessons at Bro Ddyfi Leisure Centre when he got into difficulty. The lifeguard had left his station to put out […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

International Engineering Company in Court over workers death

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

An international engineering company has been sentenced following the death of a worker who fell 30 feet from an electricity pylon. Vincent John Richards, 49, from Walsall was installing fall arrest lines for painters to use on the pylon at Great Orton, Carlisle on the 5 July 2014 when the incident happened. The Health and […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Four receive suspended jail sentences for health and safety failings

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

The director of a Port Talbot furniture factory and three of its managers have received suspended prison sentences for ongoing health and safety failings. Swansea Crown Court heard how the factory at Margam Hall Upholstery Limited in Henshaw Street, Port Talbot was included in the Health and Safety Executive’s (HSE) programme of visits to woodworking […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Three fined after man loses life due to fall through fragile roof

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A company, its director, and a self-employed contractor have been prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), after Terry Lewis (a 65 year old retired mechanic) was fatally injured by falling through a roof light. Warrington Crown Court heard how on 11 June 2013, Terry Lewis was working with his friend, Leigh Bakewell. They […]

Read More