Construction Recruitment News

keep up with construction news, building news, construction jobs, contracts news and more from Harbron Recruit.

Posted 5 years ago

Companies sentenced over worker injury

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

 Two companies have been fined after a worker suffered serious head injuries when he fell during loading operations. Rehau Ltd, based in Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd produce extruded plastic products including window frames and insulated pipe. Mold Magistrates Court heard that on 2 August 2013, Rehau’s haulage contractor Hughes Specialist Transport Ltd, was jointly engaged in […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Worker injured from safety failings at concrete manufacturers

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A company manufacturing precast concrete panels was fined after a worker was injured while loading freestanding concrete units onto a vehicle. Nottingham Magistrates’ Court heard how on 8th August 2014 a contractor working for Unbrako Precast Concrete Limited of Langar was loading freestanding concrete units onto his vehicle using a sideloader. He was unscrewing a […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Total E&P UK Ltd received record fine following largest ever North Sea gas release

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

Oil and gas production company Total E&P UK Ltd has been fined a record £1.125 million at the Sheriff Court in Aberdeen after it admitted failures that led to largest release of gas on record from the Elgin Offshore platform. On 25th March 2012, as rig workers were attempting a ‘well kill’, there was a […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Two companies fined for safety failings after two separate incidents

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

Tata Chemicals Europe Limited and Capper Industrial Contractors have been fined following safety failings on two separate occasions. Chester Crown Court heard how the first incident which occurred on the 30 May 2012, at Tata Chemicals Europe Limited (TCEL) plant in Lostock, when an employee of Cappers Industrial Contractors (CIC) was engulfed in hot caustic […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Construction worker falls from height suffering serious injury

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A construction firm was fined after a worker was seriously injured after falling head first approximately two and a half metres. Taunton Magistrates’ Court heard how an employee of DGJW Construction Limited of Devon, was working at height on a construction site in Taunton. The employee was installing formwork panels when they gave way and […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

National Grid fined £2million over failings related to death of schoolboy

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

One of the UK’s biggest gas distributers was sentenced today after admitting safety failings in relation to the death of a young boy. On 24 April 2014, 11-year-old Robbie Williamson and two friends were crossing the Leeds and Liverpool Canal using a pipeline running on the outside of Dugdale Bridge at Lowerhouse Lane, Burnley. As […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Leicestershire tradesman fined after employee lost fingers

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

Richard John Pullinger, a sole trader that recycles cardboard in Polesworth, was fined after a 19-year-old employee suffered severe damage to his left hand when it was drawn into a roller press that had no guards on it. Nuneaton Magistrates Court heard that the employee, Wade Moore, who had only been working for Mr Pullinger […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Worker injured after falling through rooflight

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A painting company has been fined after a worker fell through a roof light whilst working at height. Cwmbran Magistrates’ Court heard the employee working for Williams Contractors Limited of Pontypridd, carrying out painting work when he fell off a Youngman board and through the roof lights. He suffered a broken left wrist and injuries […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Worker killed by falling from ladder during boiler inspection

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A sub-contractor was fined after a worker was killed when he fell from a ladder during an inspection of a boiler. Winchester Magistrates’ Court heard how third party contractor, David Wood, (62 at the time of the accident), of Hampshire was inspecting a boiler in the loft space of a private residence. The ladder had […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Worker injured when he was crushed by metal folding machine

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A company which manufactures office equipment has been fined after a trainee worker was injured when he was crushed by a metal folding machine. Newport Magistrates’ Court heard how an employee of F C Brown (Steel Equipment) Limited of Newport had entered the guarded area of a metal folding machine to fix a fault. Whilst […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Companies sentenced in HSE inspector’s “most horrific case”

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

Two North West companies have been fined following the death of two workers at a Merseyside woodchip factory. James Bibby, 25, and Thomas Elmer, 27, were both killed when carrying out maintenance work on a conveyor belt at the Sonae factory in Kirkby. Liverpool Crown Court heard today that on 7 December 2010 Mr Elmer, […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Quarry Company Fined After Worker Injured Due to Unguarded Drilling Rig

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A quarry company has been fined after an employee lost two fingers after coming into contact with a drill fitted to a hydraulic excavator at a dimension stone quarry. The employee was directing the drilling operation while a colleague operated the controls in the excavator, when the employee’s glove became entangled around the rotating drill […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Unlicensed company removes asbestos ceiling from Luton school

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A construction firm removed an asbestos ceiling in a school despite not being legally approved to do the work. Luton Magistrates’ Court heard that Clarks Construction Limited were contracted by the Board of Governors of Caddington Village School to refurbish changing rooms, toilets and associated areas at the school complex. The school had arranged for […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Construction company Director fined after worker’s ladder fall

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

The director of a construction company has been fined for safety failings after a worker fell from a ladder, resulting in life-changing injuries. Portsmouth Magistrates’ Court heard an employee of MP Jacobs fell from a ladder whilst replacing guttering on a two-storey block of residential flats at Totton Walk, Havant, on 29 October 2014. The […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Unlicensed company removes asbestos ceiling from school

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A construction firm removed an asbestos ceiling in a school despite not being legally approved to do the work. Luton Magistrates’ Court heard that Clarks Construction Limited were contracted by the Board of Governors of Caddington Village School to refurbish changing rooms, toilets and associated areas at the school complex. The school had arranged for […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Waste and recycling centre fined after worker injures hand on conveyor

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A waste and recycling centre was fined after a worker was injured after his hand was drawn into an in running nip point on a waste transport conveyor. Preston Magistrates’ Court heard how an employee of Recycling Lives Limited of Preston was working in a waste sorting area, picking waste from a conveyor. During a […]

Read More

Posted 5 years ago

Pair fined for illegally installing and commissioning gas boiler

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

An unregistered gas fitter illegally installed a boiler in a home and got a legitimate gas engineer to sign-off his work. Michael Birch, 50, fitted the boiler at the house in Edgecumbe Road, St Austell in June 2013. After watching a TV documentary on gas installations, the homeowner contacted Gas Safe Register who found the […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

Demolition firm fined after worker falls from height

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A demolition company has been sentenced after pleading guilty to health and safety failings following a worker’s fall from height. The incident happened at the Hillington Industrial Estate in Glasgow on the 30 December 2011, when the 50-year-old worker was carrying out work from a mobile scaffolding platform to enable the building to be demolished. […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

Caustic burns to worker at food manufacturing company

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

Food manufacturing company, Princes Ltd was sentenced today for safety breaches after a worker suffered chemical burns. Bradford Magistrates’ Court heard how 41-year-old Mark McLean was working at the company’s Bradford plant when a hose carrying a caustic substance spilt spraying him with the solution. He suffered chemical burns to the left side of his […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

Plymouth landlord fined for endangering tenants

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

The landlord of a property in Plymouth risked the lives of his tenants through a dangerous gas boiler installed in the flat. Abdul Manik, 54, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) at Plymouth Magistrates following an investigation. HSE began inquiries when Plymouth City Council alerted them to the lack of a gas […]

Read More