Construction Recruitment News

keep up with construction news, building news, construction jobs, contracts news and more from Harbron Recruit.

Posted 6 years ago

Staffordshire Company sentenced over cooker death

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A Staffordshire animal rendering and food waste recycling company has been fined £660,000 after a worker died as he tried to fix an industrial cooker. Self-employed contractor Mark Bullock, 50, of Milton, Stoke on Trent, was carrying out repairs inside the cooker at John Pointon & Sons Ltd when the incident happened on 5 November […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

Building firm fined for safety failings

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A building firm has been fined for serious safety failings after a worker was injured when his fingers were cut in the moving parts of a flip over saw. George Warren Heath, then aged 19, an employee of the firm, suffered injuries to three fingers, one being amputated at the middle joint, and another was […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

Chemical company fined for acid fumes exposure

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

Chemical processing company, Airedale Chemical Company Ltd, was fined after people at a neighbouring company were exposed to Nitric acid fumes. On 29 April 2014, employees from Joda Freight were exposed to the chemical fumes during transfer of the substance from a road tanker into a storage vessel. The fumes escaped through a vent situated […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

Norfolk chemical site fined after contractor suffered electrical burns

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

Chemical site operator, Bayer Crop Science Limited and an on-site electrical contractor Holmes E & M Services Ltd have been fined after an employee suffered electrical burns. Norwich Crown Court heard that on 30 July 2012, Stephen Moore, a 29-year-old employee of Holmes E & M Services was working at the site to install a […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

London firm fined after worker injured in fall

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A London firm specialising in bespoke staircases has been sentenced for safety failings after a worker was injured when the personnel cage he was working in was knocked to the ground by an overhead crane. The 30-year-old man, from Wembley, had been replacing and cleaning light fittings in the workshop of Elite Metalcraft Co Ltd […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

Scaffolding company and client fined for unsafe practices

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A property developer and the firm it contracted to erect scaffolding, have both been fined for safety breaches. Chart Forte Court (West Ealing) Limited (CFC) was the client for the refurbishment of a building into a hotel. They contracted LS Scaffolders to erect the scaffold on the site before appointing a principal contractor to work […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

London firm fined after worker injured in fall

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A London firm specialising in bespoke staircases has been sentenced for safety failings after a worker was injured when the personnel cage he was working in was knocked to the ground by an overhead crane. The 30-year-old man, from Wembley, had been replacing and cleaning light fittings in the workshop of Elite Metalcraft Co Ltd […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

Council sentenced after theatre injury

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

Stafford Borough Council was today fined after an incident at a theatre in which a worker suffered fractured bone in his back. Stafford Magistrates’ Court heard two Stafford Gatehouse Theatre employees were using a tallescope (a telescopic aluminium manually operated work platform, used for one-person spot access) to undertake high level work to stage curtains and […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

Glasgow firm fined after worker killed

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A Glasgow construction firm has been sentenced for serious safety failings after a worker was crushed to death when a 1.6 tonnes frame fell onto him during construction of a steel stair tower. Daniel Hurley, then aged 31 years, who was born in Ireland but was living in Glasgow, was employed as a groundworker by […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

Gas fitter in court for illegal gas work

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A qualified gas fitter has been fined for deliberate breaches of Gas Safety regulations despite having worked in the gas industry for many years. Gary Byrne, 38, a qualified gas fitter was registered with Gas Safe Register through a former employer. However his registration ended when his contract ended but he continued to do gas […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

Man breaks legs at dance academy in lift shaft fall

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

The Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) has been sentenced after a member of the public fell into a vacant lift shaft. Mr Hector Maclean, 23, fell into a vacant lift shaft after leaning on a set of double doors at street level. The doors were operated and controlled by RADA at its Central London […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

Roofer in court after workers potentially exposed to asbestos

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A roofer has been fined after exposing workers and the home owners to potentially deadly asbestos fibres at a domestic property in Suffolk. 6 August 2014, David Cummings, t/a Cummings Flat Roofing was commissioned to repair and reroof a porch in Martlesham, Suffolk. During the reroofing work, his employees disturbed asbestos insulation board as they […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

Serious injury at glass manufacturing company

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A glass company and a ventilation system engineer have both been fined after a contractor sustained life threatening injuries. The injured person was one of three contractors who had started to dismantle an industrial box oven at the premises when the incident took place. The injured person was standing on the roof of the oven […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

Baker loses tip of finger

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A Newcastle Bakery have been fined after an incident with an unguarded machine caused a 53 year old employee to lose the tip of his middle finger.  Newcastle magistrates heard an employee of Minhoco 21 Limited was operating a pie making machine when his right hand was carried around with the motion of the machine. […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

HSE launches new workplace health expert committee

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

HSE has appointed a new committee to provide independent expert knowledge and advice on workplace health. The workplace health expert committee (WHEC) will be made up of nine members who will provide expert opinion on emerging issues and trends, new evidence relating to existing issues and, on the quality and relevance of the evidence base […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

Injection moulding firm fined after worker fall

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

 A casting and injection moulding firm has been sentenced after an employee fell from one of its machines, suffering severe injuries. Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court heard today (22 June) that Mr Sekou Camara had been working on top of the machine at Lesney Industries Ltd at the request of his supervisor- in order to clean the […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

Coach builder’s ‘reckless disregard’ for workers’ health

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

National bus and coach builder Alexander Dennis Ltd. has been fined after it ignored multiple warnings about dangers to its workers’ health from overuse of hand-held power tools.  For several years, the Edinburgh-based company persistently failed to heed expert advice, specialist reports and complaints from workers of pain, discomfort, numbness and whiteness in their fingers. […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

Farm sentenced after skylight fall

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A farm company was sentenced today after admitting safety failures relating to a worker falling five and a half meters through an abattoir skylight.  In June 2014, Mr Attila Bus was asked by his supervisor to clean the gutter on the abattoir owned by Tottingworth Farms Ltd.  Eastbourne magistrates heard Mr Bus was given a […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

Man loses finger on lathe

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A North Shields based company, Mectronic Instruments Limited, was prosecuted after an employee injured his hand resulting in the amputation of a finger. A worker for the precision machining company in Tyne and Wear, was polishing a metal component on a manual lathe by holding an abrasive pad against the rotating component when the incident […]

Read More

Posted 6 years ago

National recycling company fined after worker loses arm

Health and Safety Executive Press Releases 2015

A national recycling firm has been fined for safety failings, which resulted in an agency worker losing his arm. Philip Grace, age 43, of Liverpool, lost part of his right arm after the incident at Recresco Ltd’s Manisty Wharf site in Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, when it became trapped in a conveyor belt he was maintaining. […]

Read More